Actions you can take to help
Move the Nuclear Weapons Money
Help cut nuclear weapons budgets
- Encourage your parliaments to adopt parliamentary resolutions similar to the Bangladesh parliament resolution calling on a reduction in nuclear weapons spending to help fund the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Call on the Security Council to hold a special session on implementation of Article 26 of the UN Charter, which obliges the Council to adopt a disarmament plan in order to release resources for economic and social need.
- Invite your religious leader, mayor and/or parliamentarian to endorse ‘A Nuclear-Weapon-Free World: Our Common Good’ which calls on governments to reallocate the $100 billion annual nuclear weapons budget to instead help reverse climate change, eliminate poverty and address other social and economic needs;
- Take action during the Global Days of Action on Military Spending to highlight nuclear weapons budgets and promote the Move the Nuclear Weapons Money campaign.
- Sign the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament petition to cancel the replacement of the Trident nuclear weapons system.
- Call on your legislator to support the Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditure (SANE) Act, introduced into the U.S. Senate by Senator Ed Markey and into the Senate and into the U.S. House of Reps by Congressman Earl Blumenauer.
All nuclear-armed States
- Call on your government to reduce their nuclear-weapons budgets and reallocate these funds to economic, environmental and social need.
Nuclear weapons divestment
Nuclear weapons corporations, i.e. those manufacturing nuclear weapons or their delivery vehicles), have vested financial interests in the nuclear arms race. They are powerful lobbyists for increased nuclear weapons budgets.
We can reverse their power by ensuring that our countries, states, cities, banks, universities and other institutions end any investments they might have in these corporations.
Call on your federal government, state government and/or city to divest public funds from nuclear weapons corporations. Check our legislation section for examples of such policies already adopted by some governments, states and cities. Check our corporations section for a list of the major public companies that manufacture such weapons.
Call on your bank to end investments in nuclear weapons corporations if they have not already done so. Check Don’t Bank on the Bomb for a list of such banks.
Churches, universities and other institutions
Call on your church, university, private pension fund or other institutions that hold shares in public companies to ensure that they are not investing in nuclear weapons corporations.
TIP: Divest also from fossil fuels
Climate change poses the other main existential threat to humanity. If you are calling on you government, city, university, religious institution or bank to stop investing in nuclear weapons, you could also call on them to stop investing in fossil fuels. For more information see 350.org Go Fossil Free divestment campaign